503 595 3925
Lisa Rackner named by Best Lawyers® as Portland Lawyer of the Year - Administrative/ Regulatory Law in 2016
Lisa's practice focuses on energy and telecommunications law with an emphasis on providing regulatory and transactional advice to natural gas and electric utilities, telecommunications carriers, and independent power producers. She appears regularly before the Public Utility Commission of Oregon and the Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission, and has represented clients before Federal Energy and Regulatory Commission and the Federal Communications Commission.
After graduating from law school in 1987, Lisa joined the Portland law firm of Lindsay Hart Neil and Weigler LLP and was made partner in 1995. In 2000, she joined Ater Wynne LLP as partner, where she served as Head of the Telecommunications Practice Group and Chair of the Regulated Industries Department. She left Ater Wynne in 2007 to establish McDowell & Rackner, now McDowell Rackner Gibson.
- Represented Cascade Natural Gas Corporation in its 2015 General Rate Case in Oregon; representing Cascade Natural Gas Corporation in its 2017 General Rate Case, currently in progress in Washington.
- Represented NW Natural in its 2011 General Rate Case
- Represented NW Natural in its successful request for preapproval of acquisition of interest in gas reserves as utility resource
- Represented NW Natural in its successful request for approval of Compressed Natural Gas tariff for transportation
- Represented Idaho Power Company in Rate Cases before the Public Utility Commission of Oregon
- Represented Level 3 Communications in its Interconnection Arbitration with Qwest Communications
- Represented T-Mobile in successful request for designation as Eligible Telecommunications Carrier
- Member of the Oregon and Washington State Bars
- Member of the Oregon State Bar Energy, Telecom and Utilities Section, and Labor and Employment Section
- Selected by her peers for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America for Energy, Administrative, and Communications Law
- Selected as an Oregon “Super Lawyer” in energy and natural resources law
Lisa received her BA from Reed College in 1981, and her JD from New York University School of Law in 1987, where she was a member of the law review and an Arthur Garfield Hayes Civil Liberties Fellow.